In war, it doesn’t matter who is “right”, only who is left.
To run Fallout3 installer and game in Wine, you need to download the source code, patch and compile Wine.
1. Download the wine sources
2. Get the following patches (save them to your computer):
– the mouse patch (mousepatch.diff)
– the directx patch (driver.diff)
3. extract the source code files within the archive to any folder, copy the patches into the the same folder, change directory to it and run the following commands using a terminal:
patch -p1 < mousepatch.diff
patch -p1 < driver.diff
4. to build wine type the following:
Once ready, you will get some messages, make sure you download all required deppendencies should configure tell you so. (should you get an error sayin no opengl support and you are sure you downloaded libGL, go to /usr/lib and: sudo ln -s libGL.so.1 libGL.so)
sudo make install
5. You should have a patched wine ready and installed. It’s time to get winetricks
and use it to install vcrun2005, directx
6. type in “regedit” to bring up the registry editor. Open HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/Direct3D
– make a new string value: VideoDescription
– set it to something like: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
– make another string value: VideoDriver
– set it to: nv4_disp.dll
– do a search on “MouseWarpOverride” and set it to: true
if it does not exist create the string value inside HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Wine/DirectInput and add it as a new string value.
7. Install the game. Run the launcher and configure video options, then quit the launcher.
Start game with: wine Fallout3.exe
Everything should be set. If you have problems drop a line in the comments and we’ll try to figure it out.
If xlive.dll gives you any trouble try installing this: Try this: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D6A69B9F-2AEF-4125-B162-EDF0AE922CAF&displaylang=en
You will also need XINPUT1_3.dll, which you should google around and download from somewhere.
Both dlls are ment for your .wine/drive_c/windows/system32/ directory.